Fun Winter Activities for Kids
Don’t let your family get cabin fever this winter! Even though it’s cold outside, there are plenty of winter activities for kids and adults to do together. Check out this list of indoor and outdoor winter activities and get ready for winter fun, exercise and family bonding time:
Instead of sitting in front of the TV all winter long, get up and get active with these winter activities for kids that are perfect for doing indoors:
- Camp indoors - Have a camping day without braving the elements. Build a pillow fort, make s’mores over the stove or fireplace and tell your favorite ghost stories as a family.
- Get crafty - There are dozens of winter printables and craft ideas for kids that you can find online. Print out some wintery coloring pages, set out paint, crayons or markers and let your kids discover their artistic sides.
- Get creative with hot chocolate - Take hot chocolate to the next level with a build-your-own hot chocolate bar. Try fun mix-ins like flavored marshmallows, peanut butter, Nutella, caramel or even maple syrup for a sweet treat that will warm you up instantly.
- Have a game marathon - Pull out your favorite board games and have a game marathon on your next snowy day. Form teams for extra competition and declare a game-day champion at the end of the day.
- Bake cookies - There’s nothing better than baking a warm batch of cookies on a chilly day. If you don’t want to keep them all for yourself, bundle up and deliver batches to your neighbors.
There are plenty of outdoor winter activities for kids beyond traditional favorites like sledding and ice skating. Bundle up and have fun trying one or more of the following snowy day activities:
- Build a snow fort - Instead of a snow man, try building a snow fort this year. A fort might take a little bit longer, but kids will spend hours sitting and playing in it once it’s built.
- Blow bubbles - Blowing bubbles outside isn’t just for hot weather—if it’s cold enough where you are, regular bubbles can turn into ice bubbles! Kids will love watching the bubbles freeze and it’s an easy way to get them outside.
- Shovel the driveway - Shoveling the driveway may not sound exciting, but when you do it as a family it can become a game. See who can shovel the biggest pile and reward everyone with a big mug of hot cocoa afterward. It’s a sneaky way for kids to get exercise, too.
- Look for animal tracks - Go on a nature walk around the neighborhood and look for animal tracks in the snow. See how many different animal tracks you can identify and take pictures of what you find.
- Take a hike - Hiking isn’t just a summer activity! Find trails in your neighborhood and take a family hike. Hiking is a great way to get exercise and take in the beautiful winter scenery. Plus, chances are good that the trails won’t be crowded.
Your family will never have a boring snow day again when you engage in these easy winter activities for kids. Stay active and have fun this winter; spring will be here before you know it!